A Family Support Program
who care for an individual with developmental disabilities at home
This program was established to assist families to care for their family member with disabilities in their home and enhance their lives. If you have a family member with a developmental disability living in the home that is eligible for services, then you would qualify for the program. You may find out about eligibility by contacting the Sandusky County Board of Developmental Disabilities.
Family Support Services is administered through the county boards but funds are provided through the state legislature and distributed by the Ohio Department of Developmental Disabilities.
Our program can benefit many families in different ways. The family just needs to meet some small eligibility requirements like living at home with their family and being eligible for developmental disability services. The program will also look at financial information to determine if the family has a co-pay (see the brochure for details)
We will help families determine if there are other resources available to obtain the service or item. As long as the request is related to the disability, we can provide $1000 to that family from one of our service categories. Supplementary dollars in the amount of $500 are also available for each additional family member eligible. These funds are managed on a calendar year which runs January 1 until December 31. Contact the board today before funds run out.
Things to Remember (FAQ’s):
Everyone is always asking what takes this process so long or why there is so much paperwork involved. Here are some tips to help you through getting some supports that you need:
- PRIOR APPROVAL must be obtained for all services.
- Approvals will only be given if the county has the funding.
- Seven (7) business days are required to process your request because of all the signatures of approvals and tracking of the money.
- Reimbursement may take up to forty-five (45) days after turning in PROOF OF PURCHASE.
- All documentation must be complete (request form signed-front and back, doctor notes, and non-certified provider forms)
- A new budget will be made each year (starts January 1) new forms will need to be filled out at this time.
- Please remember to attach your taxable income to your application
Respite is a program that will provide up to $250 per request for the family to use for an emergency when they can not provide care or when they need to catch up on additional responsibilities.
- Short term, temporary care
- Summer Programming (camps)
- Can be done in or out of the home
- Need a non-certified provider form
Adaptive Equipment / Home Modification / Incontinence Supplies / Special Diets
This program can provide up to $500 per request for special diets or incontinence supplies. These items will only be granted with a script from a doctor relating it to the disability. Price comparisons may be done.
- Ramps, medical supplies, and alarms
- Incontinence supplies must be for children over 3 years of age and are not eligible for Medicaid
Counseling / Training / Education
This category provides up to $200 per request for services that assist in caring and meeting your family members needs. These may be classes, seminars, or workshops for the individual or family member.
- Personal Care
Other / Skill Development
This category is offered for those “other” financial hardships that come to the family when caring for an individual with disabilities at $125 per request.
- Medical mileage, copays, or meds
- Therapeutic horseback riding or appropriate social or leisure activities
- 90 Individuals were eligible for Family Support Services in 2015.