Facilitated by the Sandusky County Board of Developmental Disabilities, Community Connections is a networking opportunity for families, schools, and other local agencies to unite and share resources to best serve and support local individuals with disabilities. The Community Connections Coordinator serves as the primary source of contact locally for information, support, and resources provided by area agencies and the Sandusky County Board of DD.
The primary role of the Community Connections Coordinator is to work with students in area school districts served by the Sandusky County Board of DD including Fremont, Woodmore, Gibsonburg, Old Fort, Margaretta, Bellevue, Lakota, and Clyde-Green Springs Schools. Sometimes, individuals who receive services and supports locally are just a helping hand away from social independence.
Assistance can include:
- Evaluating and assessing each individual on their wants, desires, and goals via IEP meeting assistance
- Supporting the decision-making process and/or guardianship
- Referral for Service and Support Administration (SSA) services
- Facilitating the successful transition from school to work through programs such as Pathways 2 Employment/OOD referral
- Coordinating employment options and benefits including Medicaid and Social Security
- Family Supports Services and Supported Living information
- STABLE Account information
- Representing and promoting the interests of individuals through local business, community organizations, and other local agency resources
It is the mission of the Community Connections Coordinator to ensure that local individuals with developmental disabilities have access to quality supports and provide them with opportunities to live, work, play, and thrive in our community.